|Chocolate Zucchini Cake with Berry Compote
"A great twist on chocolate cake you are sure to love." - 2012 summer season, provided by Chef Sam Cady and Chef Joe Martin
2 cups white sugar
¾ cup cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1 ½ cups vegetable oil
3 cups grated zucchini
2 pints fresh Berries
½ cup sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 oz lemon juice
1/3 cup water
Zucchini Chocolate Cake
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and flour a 9x13 inch baking pan or 10-12 6oz ramekins.
2. In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Add the eggs and oil, mix well. Fold in the zucchini until it is evenly distributed. Pour into the prepared pan.
3. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes for one cake or 25-30 for small cakes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
1. In a medium sauce pan place the berries(cut up if using strawberries), sugar and water on medium heat and bring to a simmer. Cook the berries and syrup for 8-10min.
2. In a small bowl whisk together the cornstarch and lemon juice to create a slurry. Add the slurry to the berry syrup and whisk over medium heat. Allow to cook for another 2-3min and cool completely.
Server the compote over the cake and top with powdered sugar.